Saturday, June 14, 2008

A challenge

I'll be the first to admit that my motivation for running has been flagging a bit lately; it's hard to get psyched for a run when memories of cramping and over-the-top humidity are crammed into my short-term memory. But I hate that my blog has started off with such a negative attitude towards one of my biggest passions in life. I may whine like no other when it comes to chemistry classes and 200-page reading assignments, but running is not something that is usually up top on my list of things to gripe about.

So, I've decided to design a challenge for myself...not only to keep myself motivated, but to do something fun and running related...something other than worrying about cutting a few minutes off a 5k time or the like.

* A preface to the description of the challenge: Before I explain the rough details of this mammouth virtual project, I must first explain my thoughts behind it. I'm not sure where this idea came from honestly, other than the fact that I realized, at midnight last night, that I need to spice up my running life. When I'm not training for a race, it becomes a little easier for me to justify skipping a run to stuff my face with ice cream and fries. It was also inspired by my love of France, where I will be studying abroad...but not until the academic year after the upcoming academic year due to the fact that I have a boatload of science classes that must be taken. So, I'm a little France-sick. I'll also say that I don't really have all of the details ironed out yet; I only have a basic concept. So bear with me*

I have decided to take a "running trip" around France. 12 cities, 1762 miles, and who knows how many months.

  • Strasbourg - Dijon - Lyon - Nice - Cannes - Toulouse - Bayonne - Bordeaux - Tours - Le Havre - Paris

At each city I reach, there will be some sort of "reward" (that has yet to be chosen...ideas are more than welcome) and a blog spotlight on that particular area. At the end of each week, I'll try to approximate where I am in the grand scheme of things. And yes, I will be attempting some French regional cuisines along the way...

I'm planning on officially starting this upcoming Monday; more details and ramblings will follow as they pop into my head.

No comments: